Yay!

Yay!

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

December 16, 2013

Hola familia y amigos,

This week.  Wow.  Solvang is so ready for Christmas!  They have Santa going around town on his sleigh!!  Haha he is a real hit!  This HAS to be the most conservative town in California!!  (I almost didn't think a town like this would exist).  It's funny, the people here all have strong beliefs.  About 80-90% of the people here are strong in a church, isn't that neat?  It does make work a bit harder though.  People are very set in their beliefs, and don't even give us time to talk.  But oh well.  

The good thing is though we are mainly Spanish here!!  Can you believe that??  We have sooo many investigators, and only one is English.  I can really see how the Lord has been preparing this area.  We can see how much a Spanish unit is needed here, and Heavenly Father is preparing people.  We had an investigator come to church yesterday!!!!  We had to get translation for him, that is the thing with having Spanish people come to an English area.  It is hard to help them feel comfortable when not many speak English and there isn't really translation set in place yet....now that Bishop has seen a Spanish investigator come he will REALLY set it in place, I know it.  

I knew that this was an amazing place when I saw that there is an Ostrich farm here!!!  How cool is that?!  Hermana Howell and I are going to go today.  HAha, it looks fun.  

Dad, do you know any Hippolite's?  I went on exchanges with Hermana Wright, a sister training leader in the mission and her Mom is Debbie Hippolite.  She was born in Hamilton, NZ and lived in Hamilton, New Zealand.  Hermana Wright knows there are a bunch of Ormsby's up there.  Haha, Hermana Wright also wants to know what tribe we are from.  Just curious!  Her grandpa's name is Ben Hippolite.

Hermana Howell and I got chased by a dog this week.  It was SO scary.  We found this house with a metal fence around the front porch, it with a gate so we run inside it.  I said, "Well, we were led to this door...we should knock it."  This woman answers the door, we do the normal "Hi we're missionaries from the Church of..."  ANd then she says, "NOPE.  Not interested."  Hermana Howell then says, "Well actually the real reason we're here is because this giant dog was chasing us and we needed to get away from it."  The woman says, "Well.  Good luck with that."  And slams the door.  The dog just kept chasing us....we finally got to the car.  That is the last time we will park blocks away...

Ha, well.  The work is really moving here.  I love it.  There is this quote that I LOVE.  It's by Henry B. Eyring:

"I am part of the fellowship of the unashamed. The dye has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made; I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I won't look back, let up, slow down, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, and my future is secure. I'm finished and done with low living, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tinted visions, worldly talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed goals. I no longer need pre-eminence, positions, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don't have to be right, first recognized, praised, regarded, or rewarded. I now live by faith, lean on His presence, walk with patience, am lifted up in prayer, and labor with power. My face is set, my goal is heaven. My road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions few, my guide is reliable, my mission is clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, divided or delayed, will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the adversary, negotiate at the table with the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won't give up, shut up, or let up until I have stayed up, stored up, and paid up for the case of Christ. I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till all know, and work till He stops me. When He returns for His own He will have no problem recognizing me, my banner is clear”. 

I have that quote printed out and I taped it to my desk.  I read it everyday.  I love it.  

I am thankful for this opportunity to be on a mission.  It is a glorious work!!!  I can't say that enough!!  I love being a missionary.  I don't know how I have been so lucky to serve in the areas I serve!  I will forever look at my mission as a privilege, because that's what it is.  The greatest convert I see is myself!  And I always think, "Now how can that be fair?"  That's just how Heavenly Father is.  He blesses us so much...far more that we ever feel we deserve.  But it's because he loves us.  

Have a great week y'all!!! :D  Thank you for the prayers and support.  

Love,
Hermana Ah Mu

No comments:

Post a Comment